Powered By Blogger

Eagle Eye --- Fundraise by...?

Welcome --- Up To Par Bloggers

Hello,







We are glad you wanted to blog about something in your life or on your mind. Feel free to share favorite ideas, sayings, pictures, and much more. Just make sure that it is appropriate in language and nature. We look forward to many years of exchanging ideas, sharing information, and having fun!







God bless you in Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior!



Eagle Eye --- Search our Blog

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Advice for new college students!



via Dr. Tina - Listening to YOU! http://ift.tt/1rO6W2K

Let’s talk about college!

So I recently just finished my freshman year of college with my major being Business Management and I thought it would be a good idea to give advice to upcoming freshman starting college based on my own experiences and things I’ve learned.

1. Class & Room Registration- Make sure you are on top of your game when it comes to registering for your classes and your dorm. They will give you a specific time and date to go online and register. For example, the time can be early in the morning such as 8am, and you have to make sure you are up and ready to press the button by at least 7:50. If you’re not ready by the specific time they give you then most likely you will not get the classes and the room that you want. Also, you should tour your campus so that when the first day of classes come around you won’t be lost. As far as worrying about what type of teacher you will have, you can ask different people on campus what type of teacher he/she is, Google them, or go to ratemyprofessor.com.

2. Roommates- Once you get your room assignment and find out who your roommate is you should try to get to know them so that way it won’t be any awkwardness. There is a 50/50 chance that you may or may not get a good roommate. In my case, I had the best roommate because we already knew of each other from high school but we weren’t close so this gave us a chance to become closer. We both realized we were alike in so many ways that we instantly clicked and now we’re like sisters.

3. Alone- College is not the way it is portrayed in the media. There will definitely be times where you will be alone with nothing to do so I suggest that you have a TV, computer, music, food, snacks, beverages and a hobby so that way you can keep yourself occupied.

4. Independent- Being in college will definitely teach you to be independent simply because your parents are not there to tell you what to do and what’s right from wrong. You have all the freedom that you want but you must be smart about it and have some standards. You will be on your own so you must make sure you take care of all of your responsibilities and have your priorities in order.

5. Knowing your major- A lot of people come to college without having any idea of what they want to do and that is perfectly fine but I suggest that you already know ahead of time. If you don’t know what you’re interested in or what you want to major in then you will be stuck taking basic general classes that is just a waste of time because at some point you will have to figure out what you want to do in life. I’m a sophomore but I’m already taking Business classes.

6. Attendance- Attendance in college is a big thing because you will miss a lot of work. My professors in the past were very quick with lessons and will talk about 2-3 different things all within the hour that we have for that class so I can’t stress enough to GO TO CLASS! Besides, we are in school for one thing and that’s to get our work done so we can graduate and move on to the next part of our life. Also, if you’re a party person that’s always going out at night then I suggest you schedule your classes for noon instead of early 8am or 9am classes because it will be a struggle to get out of bed for class.

7. Social life- Do not isolate yourself in college! The easiest way to not make friends is to not talk to anyone and not leave the room. From my personal experience I know that I’m a very shy person and I’m not the type to just go up to people and start a conversation but I knew that I was going to be unfamiliar with my environment and people for awhile unless I opened up and stepped out of my comfort zone. It took me a while but I did it and I became friends with a lot of good people in college. So I say just try and chat, exchange numbers, join different clubs so that you can get involved and know people and not feel like you are alone.

8. Classes- In class, you want your teacher to know you so do not sit in the back of the classroom. I suggest you communicate with them and ask/answer questions especially in classes that you struggle in. Go up to them after class and introduce yourself, they will understand and try their best to help you. If you need additional help, find out about any tutoring sessions your campus may have. Do not procrastinate on doing your work because you will become stressed out and feel overwhelmed so I say make sure you have a planner with all of your tests and due dates. Study Study Study! In high school I never studied so that means I had bad study habits when I got to college. I quickly learned that studying is so important and helpful and it makes your life so much easier as far grades are concerned.


I think I have covered mostly everything that I could think of. I hope I helped the upcoming freshmen that are going to be starting college this fall. If I missed anything or if there is anything that you want my opinion on, feel free to comment! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment